Timeline of Goju-Ryu:-
– 605: “Ryukyu” first appears the Chinese annals.
– 1187: King Shunten takes the throne.
– 1260: Coronation of King Eiso. Zenkan builds Gokuraku Temple.
– 1296: Mongols attack Okinawa Island.
– 1350: King Satto takes the throne.
– 1372: King Satto sends first envoys to Ming China.
– 1392: First students sent to Ming China to study. 36 families from China immigrate to Kume village Naha, Okinawa. Chinese Boxing is practiced.
– 1441: Ryukyu supposedly granted to Shimazu Tadakuni by Askikaga Yoshinori.
– 1458: Conflict between Gosamaru and Amawari.
– 1467: Grand Library presented by the King of Korea.
– 1477: The three kingdoms of Okinawa are unified, and the ruler King Sho Shbans the use of weapons all of Okinawa. Devolopment of unarmed combat skyrockets…
– 1500: Oyake Akahachi uprising.
– 1531: First volume of the Omoroshoshi complied.
– 1589: An embassy from Ryukyu received by Hideyoshi at Kyoto.
– 1591: Hideyoshi sends troops to Korea; levies on Ryukyu for assitance.
– 1605: Noguni Soukan introduces the sweet potato from China.
– 1609: The Satsuma clan of Japan invaded Okinawa (Ryukyu Kingdom).
– 1623: Shinjo Gima introduces sugar refining.
– 1650: Sho Shokenn (Choshu Haneji) publishes Chuzan Seikan (History of Ryukyu).
– 1713: “Origins and History of the Ryukyu Kingdom” published.
– 1719: First Performance of Tamagusku Chokun’s “Kumiodori.”
– 1734: Saion publishes the Farmer’s Manual.
– 1853: March 10, Higaonna Kanryo was born. Taught by Master Ryu Ryu Ko (China). Founder of Naha – Te.
– 1853: Commodore Perry’s Black Ships call Naha.
– 1872: Ryukyu Kingdom becomes Ryukyu Han (fiefdom).
– 1879: Abolition of fiefs; creation of Okinawa Prefecture.
– 1888: Grand Master Sensei Chojun Miyagi is born. He is the founder of Gojyu-Ryu.
– 1904: Abolition of land allocation system; establishment of private land ownership.
– 1909: First Prefectural Assembly election.
– 1912: First election of lower house Diet members.
– 1916: Grand Master Higaonna Kanryo dies with Master Chogun Miyagi at his side.
– 1926: Kazuro Hirozu’s The Wandering Ryukyuans provokes uproar.
– 1930: Master Chogun Miyagi names the style.
– 1933: Master Chogun Miyagi’s Gojyu-Ryu was accepted as part of Japan’s martial arts in the Dai Nippon Butoku Kai.
– 1940: Controversy over use of Okinawa Prefecture.
– 1945: U.S. Forces land on Okinawa Island. Organized resistance of Japanese forces ends on June 23.
– 1946: General Mac Arthur separates the administration of Japan and the Southwest Island chain.
– 1951: The San Francisco Peace Treaty between Japan and the United States provides for continued American control of Okinawa and Amami.
– 1952: Establishment of the Government of the Ryukyus. Sensei Meitoku Yagi was given permission to open a Dojo. He is the only student of Sensei Chojun Miyagi to be allowed to, as Sensei Chojun Miyagi dies on October 8th, 1953.
– 1953: On October 8th, Grand Master Chojun Miyagi dies suddenly.
– 1969: Joint U.S. Japan announcement of Okianawa’s reversion to Japan.
– 1970: Koza Riots.
– 1972: May 15 – Reversion to Japan.
– 1973: Special National Athletic Meet (Wakantsu Kokutai) held to commemorate Reversion.
– 1975: The Okinawa International Ocean Exposition held to commemorate Reversion (July 20: 1975 to Januray 18: 1976).
– 1978: July 30, traffic changed to left-lane driving.
– 1987: Okinawa holds the 42nd National Athletic Meet (Kaihou Kokutai).
– 1992: Shurijo Castle Park is opened on November 3. Dai Sensei Meitoku Yagi demonstrates Seipai at the opening.
– 1993: The 44th National Treet Planting Ceremony (April 25) is held Okinawa.
– 1995: The Cornerstone of Peace erected memory pf those lost on both sides the Battle of Okinawa.
– 1998: Was the 110th anniversary of the birth of Gojyu-ryu founder Sensei Chojun Miyagi.
– 2000: Kyushu-Okinawa G8 Summit. Dai Sensei demonstrates for the G8 World Leaders.
– 2008: Okinawa hosts the 3rd Pacific Islands Summit.
– 2013: goju-world celebrated the 125th birthday anniversary of goju-ryu founder bushido chojun miyagi.